Facebook Business Pages Are Important To Local Businesses

Spread the love

2014 is turning out to be the year of the word “local” for myself and my business. Once I realized the power that “local” has, my business took a turn upward. The question I get asked most often is, “Why should my small business have a Facebook page?” It’s simple, if you own a business, you need to take advantage of every single opportunity you have to getting your message out. Facebook happens to be one of these avenues.

  • Your business should have a Business Facebook Page. You should not mix it with your Personal Facebook Page. People that are engaging with you on Facebook from a business point of view, do not need to know what’s happening in your personal life on a daily basis.
  • With more than 500 million people using Facebook, it should be one of your go to platforms. Here in North Iowa specifically, Facebook is where the action is. There are a few active Twitter users, but not near as many as Facebook. It’s not that folks don’t want to learn how to use Twitter, it’s the fact that many businesses in North Iowa have not embraced the power of Twitter. (That’s a whole other blog post).
  • Facebook is a simple way to share your expertise. Be the person with the knowledge and information in your particular industry. Your Facebook status updates should be informative and educational for your potential clients and/or customers.

Most importantly pay attention to the 80/20 rule.


Ribbet Edit


80% of the content on your Facebook Business Page should be informative and educational, while sharing information from others in your industry. The other 20% can be status updates that showcase your business. For example, if you have a sale on a particular product, you can share that on Facebook, but not very often. If you share it too often, you will be considered a spammer, and nobody likes to be spammed on Facebook or anywhere through social media.

Facebook Business Pages are easy to set up and can be complex to manage once things start rolling along. Depending on how deep you want to go with your Facebook Business Page, you can purchase ads and even boost posts through your Facebook Business Page. Your budget will more than likely determine how much money you spend on Facebook. If you do not have the time to manage a Facebook Business Page, you should hire someone to manage it or take it down. There’s nothing worse than having a Facebook Business Page with very little activity on it and having the perception of being lazy.

I’d love to hear about your personal experiences on Facebook Business Pages. By having an active presence on your Facebook Business Page you will have success. It’s no secret that Facebook keeps changing, but if you don’t start a Facebook Business Page, you will never know what type of ROI you could expect. Most importantly, engage and do not use social media as a dumping ground.







Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *